The Canton of Glarus is business-friendly.
The Canton of Glarus is business-friendly. Thanks to one of the first Swiss business development laws, this industrial region has become an attractive place for business with many advantages. The most important ones are:
- Person-to-person: Glarnerland is big enough to offer companies sufficient room and small enough to allow quick decisions unburdened by bureaucracy.
- Good advice isn't expensive: The Office of Economic Matters supports entrepreneurs who are founding a business just as much as established companies who want to settle here.
- Quality of life over money: In the canton of Glarus, companies can find affordable real estate and well-trained employees. Companies benefit from competitive labour costs and taxes.
- Everything is close: Glarnerland has very good transportation links. Zurich and its airport are only one hour away by car or train, the most important north-south axis runs through the canton, and private planes and helicopters take off and land in Mollis.
- Corporate tax rate
Nominal corporate tax rate: 18% (9.5% cantonal tax; 8.5% federal tax)
Effective corporate tax rate: 15.7%;
Targeted total effective corporate tax rate after tax reform (TRAF): 12.43%;
100% tax relief at federal and cantonal level, max 10y: 0.00%.
- Individual tax rate
Progressive, maximum of 17% on income and 3% on wealth; 11% federal tax
- Guiding thoughts & policies regarding tax holiday
The governing council may grant tax holidays to a newly established company or a company that modifies its operations in a fundamental way in the first year and the nine subsequent years. In some circumstances, a company may even be exempt from all cantonal and federal taxes for a maximum of ten years. The company must benefit the canton's general economic interest and
- create new jobs or secure existing jobs,
- not compete with existing companies in Glarus
- generate a certain degree of value creation
- Innovation support & R&D grants
Incentives on request. Maximum USD 50,000 once
- Predominant industries
Food processing, plastics, metal improvement, building and construction, aircraft
- Flagship companies:
Netstal Maschinen, Kunststoff Schwanden, Läderach, Kopter Group, Eternit
- Recent additions:
Carlsberg Supply Company (2012)