Work where you love to live: Graubünden combines an internationally oriented economy with unspoiled nature and countless recreational activities.
Global players in life sciences, medtech, biosciences, electronics, sensor technology, mechanical engineering, ICT and other high-tech industries cooperate closely with local top research institutions.
Graubünden's advantages at a glance:
- Highly qualified employees with a high productivity level
- More than 300,000 m2 of premium, developed industrial properties
- Central location (north-south axis E43/A13 Stuttgart/Munich-Milan)
- Close to international airports in Zurich, Altenrhein, Friedrichshafen, Lugano Agno, Milan
- Adjacent to Italy, Germany, Austria and Liechtenstein
- Around 20-25% lower cost structure than in Switzerland's metropolitan areas
- Moderate tax burden
- WEF: World Economic Forum in Davos, the meeting point for the global elite
- The highest quality of life in Switzerland
- Outstanding educational system with a variety of private schools and international schools
- Close to several renowned universities
- World-class research institutions for nanotechnology and life science
- Unbureaucratic and business-friendly government
Work and live where other people vacation: Grisons is where cutting-edge technology, pristine nature, and varied recreational opportunities meet.
- Corporate tax rate
7.83% (with 100% tax relief at cantonal level for max. ten years);
Effective corporate tax rate: 16.12%.
Targeted total effective corporate tax rate after tax reform (TRAF): 14.02%
- Individual tax rate
At 82% of the Swiss average tax rate (100 = Swiss average / Grisons ranked 6th in Switzerland). The income tax is rated progressively depending on the taxable income and varies depending on community (factor 0.3 to 1.3 of the cantonal tax). The total average tax burden for private persons is around 15% of income. No inheritance tax and gift tax is due for partners and direct descendants.
- Guiding thoughts on & policies regarding tax holiday
Following consultation with the communities involved and in the interest of the cantonal public economy, the government can award up to 100% exemption from cantonal/communal taxes for a duration of up to ten years. Prerequisites are the establishment of a new company in the Grisons or a fundamental change in business activities in an existing company. No tax reliefs will be granted if the new business is in direct competition with regularly taxed companies in the Grisons. Some communities in economic renewal areas may benefit from additional tax relief on federal tax in conjunction with a cantonal tax relief. Immediate depreciation on investments of up to 100% can be claimed in the year of acquisition or founding and in the following year.
- Innovation support & R&D grants
The Canton of Grisons can provide support for innovative projects of export-oriented companies with contributions and loans. Support can be provided for projects where sustained commercialization can be expected and by which innovative products or service offers, new jobs and added value can be created.
- Predominant industries
Life sciences, medtech, precision technologies, photonics, information and communications technology
- Flagship companies
Hamilton, Ems Chemie, TRUMPF, Würth, Viega, Bizerba
- Recent additions
Hamilton Ems, Würth, Oblamatic (Viega), Bizerba (Busch)