In the canton of Grisons, various global leaders have settled in high-tech areas such as medical technology, chemicals, precision technology, photonics, sensor technology and information technology, which continue to invest in the Grisons, create jobs and expand worldwide. There are various aspects such as the innovation-friendly environment, the availability of qualified and loyal employees, the favorable cost structure, the mild tax climate and the high quality of life that cumulate and speak for the Grisons. The unique nature, the countless leisure activities and the diverse cultural offerings invite to action and relaxation and let the people pursue their daily work motivated and energetic. A unique lifestyle thus has emerged in the Grisons.
A central prerequisite for the further settlement and expansion of development and production-oriented companies is the availability of suitable industrial land. This is increasingly becoming a rare commodity in Switzerland. However, the canton of Grisons has large, well-developed industrial zones at attractive locations. The talents for your project are being educated at the universities and technical colleges in the catchment area, or they would like to move to the Grisons for attractive jobs combined with a high quality of life.
The Grisons' advantages at a glance:
- Many global players from the field of life science, high-technology and trade
- 300,000 square meters of industrial land at attractive conditions
- Central location: north-south axis Stuttgart/Munich–Milan
- Up to 25 % lower wage costs and real estate prices than in the Swiss agglomerations
- Moderate taxation (7.83%* - 16.12 % of net income before tax for corporations)
- More than 1.2 million inhabitants living within 1 hour drive from Chur
- Highest quality of life "Work where you love to live"
- Financial support options by the canton for innovative projects
- Location for talents, education and research
- Highly qualified, well trained and loyal employees
- High work productivity
- An excellent education system with public, private and international schools
- 60,000 students studying at the universities of applied sciences and technical colleges in the expert fields of focus trade sectors
- Internationally networked research institutes
* with 100% tax relief at cantonal level
Business location with quality of life:
- Corporate tax rate
7.83% (with 100% tax relief at cantonal level for max. ten years);
Effective corporate tax rate: 16.12%.
Intended effective corporate tax rate of 14.02% following the entry into force of the tax reform (TRAF) on 1 January 2020
With the introduction of new measures of tax reform such as patent box with 70% relief and R & D super deduction of 50%, an effective corporate tax rate of 10.7% can be achieved.
(The extent of the intended relief still depends on decisions at cantonal level)
- Individual tax rate
At 82% of the Swiss average tax rate (100 = Swiss average / Grisons ranked 6th in Switzerland). The income tax is rated progressively depending on the taxable income and varies depending on community (factor 0.3 to 1.3 of the cantonal tax). The total average tax burden for private persons is around 15% of income. No inheritance tax and gift tax is due for partners and direct descendants.
- Guiding thoughts on & policies regarding tax holiday
Following consultation with the communities involved and in the interest of the cantonal public economy, the government can award up to 100% exemption from cantonal/communal taxes for a duration of up to ten years. Prerequisites are the establishment of a new company in the Grisons or a fundamental change in business activities in an existing company. No tax reliefs will be granted if the new business is in direct competition with regularly taxed companies in the Grisons. Some communities in economic renewal areas may benefit from additional tax relief on federal tax in conjunction with a cantonal tax relief. Immediate depreciation on investments of up to 100% can be claimed in the year of acquisition or founding and in the following year.
- Innovation support & R&D grants
The Canton of Grisons can provide support for innovative projects of export-oriented companies with contributions and loans. Support can be provided for projects where sustained commercialization can be expected and by which innovative products or service offers, new jobs and added value can be created.
- Predominant industries
Life sciences, medtech, precision technologies, photonics, sensor technologies, information and communications technology
- Flagship companies
Hamilton, Ems Chemie, TRUMPF, Würth, Viega, Bizerba, Georg Fischer, Integra Biosciences, Wittenstein
- Recent additions
Hamilton Ems, Würth, Oblamatic (Viega), Bizerba (Busch)